The English for Academic Purposes Program at NYU Shanghai invites applications for full-time Lecturer positions to teach English for Academic Purposes to academically outstanding students from around the world.
Designed as thematically-focused freshman seminars, these advanced courses will teach integrated skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening), with an emphasis on academic speaking and listening. Lecturers teach six sections (or their equivalent) in a two-semester course sequence (3 sections/semester). You may read more about the program curriculum on our website. EAP faculty attend pre-semester faculty meetings, participate in regular faculty meetings throughout the academic year, are expected to carry out program-level and institutional service, and may continue ongoing research and practice in their academic or creative fields. Appointments are for 3 years effective September 1, 2021; contracts are renewable.
NYU Shanghai is looking for demonstrated excellence in university-level teaching. Candidates should be creative individuals who are flexible, outgoing, open to new environments, and respectful of diverse backgrounds and learning styles. Experience studying or working at a liberal-arts institution is preferred.
NYU Shanghai is the third degree-granting campus within New York University’s global network. It is the first higher-education joint venture in China authorized to grant degrees that are accredited in the U.S. as well as in China. All teaching is conducted in English. A research university with liberal arts and science at its core, NYU Shanghai resides in one of the world’s great cities with a vibrant intellectual community.
NYU Shanghai recruits scholars of the highest caliber who are committed to NYU’s global vision of innovative research and transformative teaching, and who embody the global society in which we live.
Salary and Benefits:
NYU Shanghai offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Two years teaching university-level EAP/ESL courses (Due to Chinese visa regulations, these two years must constitute 24 months of full-time teaching following receipt of the degree.)
- Master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a related field
- The ability to design a thematic liberal arts style seminar according to CBLI principles
- Four years teaching university-level EAP/ESL courses
- Experience working with students from diverse cultural and language backgrounds
- Specialized experience teaching content-based speaking and listening
PhD or EdD
Required Application Documents:
Priority deadline is January 1, 2021 (China Standard Time). Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. Applications are received via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/80102. Please do not apply via email.
Required application materials:
- Cover letter describing your experience relevant to the position
- Current CV
- One-page teaching philosophy
- Reference list or letters of recommendation; some references should speak to teaching experience and effectiveness
Candidates who move forward in the interview process will be asked to provide the following supplemental application materials:
- One-page sample course description, outlining a thematic focus you would like to teach and the integration of language skills into that focus
- References for 5 texts (videos or readings) you would incorporate into the syllabus
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
You must sign in to apply for this position.